英语阅读英文经典故事

双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第23章:伯明翰 头部中枪的女孩(7)

本文已影响 1.82W人 

Later he told me that Dr Javid had also ordered him not to cry as that would make us all sadder.

双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第23章:伯明翰 头部中枪的女孩(7)
后来父亲告诉我,贾维德医生也告诫他不可以哭,否则我们两人会更难过。

The doctor wanted us to be strong for each other.

医生希望我们能为彼此坚强。

The call did not last long because my parents did not want to tire me out.

那通电话没有讲很久,因为我父母不希望我过度疲累。

My mother blessed me with prayers.

我的母亲则一直在电话那头帮我祈祷。

I still presumed that the reason they weren't with me was because my father didn't have the money to pay for my treatment.

我仍然相信,我的家人当时没办法陪在我身旁,是因为父亲没钱支付我的医疗费用。

That's why he was still in Pakistan, to sell our land in the village and also our school.

这就解释了为什么他人还在巴基斯坦。说不定,他正在卖我们家村里的那块土地,连带把我们的学校也脱手了。

But our land was small and I knew our school buildings and our house were rented, so what could he sell?

但我们那块地那么小,学校的建筑与我们家的房子又都是租来的,他怎么卖?

Perhaps he was asking rich people for a loan.

说不定他正在想办法向有钱人借贷。

Even after the call, my parents were not completely reassured.

就算通过了电话,我的父母还是无法完全放心。

They hadn't actually heard my voice and were still cut off from the outside world.

他们并没有实际听到我的声音,而且他们依旧与外界隔绝。

People who visited them were bringing conflicting reports.

去拜访他们的人总会带来前后矛盾的消息。

One of those visitors was Major General Ghulam Qamar, head of military operations in Swat.

其中一名来访者是少将古拉姆·卡玛,他是斯瓦特军事行动的领袖。

'There is good news coming from the UK,' he told my father.

“英国那边传来了好消息,”他告诉父亲,

'We are very happy our daughter has survived.'

“我们都很高兴听到我们的女儿活了下来。”

He said 'our' because now I was seen as the daughter of the nation.

他用“我们的”,因为我现在已被视为“巴基斯坦的女儿”。

猜你喜欢

热点阅读

最新文章